Building Trust In Your Childcare Centre
Trust in the workplace is the backbone of every successful childcare centre. This is because employees are more willing to follow leaders they trust and believe in, and in times of change, a track record of trust between employees and managers can help any organisation weather through the storm.
Benefits of Having Trust in the Workplace
Trust in the workplace is not a flimsy concept, it does pay off. Organisations with a strong culture of trust enjoy greater productivity and staff engagement. Not to mention high trust facilities increased team interaction, successful collaboration, knowledge sharing and performance efficiency – all of which are so important in a child care centre. Trust can also benefit organisations financially, lowering operational and staffing costs due to increased productivity and efficiency.
Ways to Build Trust at Work
Unfortunately, like most things in life, trust does not grow overnight – it builds over time. Building trust in a workplace starts at the very top and then must be fostered through the rest of the company. Management must set the example and the standard for all employees to follow.
There are a number of things organisations can do to build employee trust in a workplace environment.
- Establish and maintain integrity. This means keeping promises and always telling the truth. If you cannot keep a commitment, explain what is happening in the situation without delay.
- Hire and promote people who are capable of forming positive, trusting relationships with people who report to them.
- Protect employee’s personal information as if it were your own.
- Keep staff members truthfully informed by providing as much information as you are comfortable to divulge as soon as possible in every situation.
- Protect the interests of all employees in a workgroup. employees learn to trust when they know that their names are not being taken in vain.
- If you are a supervisor or a team member, set high expectations and act as if you believe staff members are capable of living up to them. This trust and support will draw forth your employees’ best efforts and their trust in return.
- Most importantly, listen with respect and full attention at all times.